Step 6: Do I Need a Step Up or Step Down Converter? How to Get From 110 to 220 and From 220 to 110
That all depends on where you’re going, where you’re coming from, and what you are taking with you. If you have determined that the devices you’re traveling with are electricals, you’ll need a converter. But are you converting up or down?
110 to 220: If you live in a 110V country (America), and are traveling to a 220V country, like England, you will need a Step Down Converter to take the voltage from 110 to 220 and ensure safe operation of your device.
220 to 110: If you live in a 220V country (most countries) and you’re traveling to somewhere like North America, you will need to Step Up the voltage with a Step Down Converter.
To hevolp visualize how much more prevalent 220V is around the world, check out the map below:
Good news: You can get a device that is a Step Up Step Down. When in doubt, why not go with a device that converts up as well as down? With a step up step down converter, no matter where you go, you can rest assured that you’re prepared for converting from 110 to 220 and from 220 to 110 volts.
Don’t forget you may need this, too:
Voltage regulator: Some countries have unstable voltage. If you’re skeptical about the quality of the power supply of your destination, you’ll need a voltage regulator (also called a voltage stabilizer or surge protector) that will safely stabilize the voltage during conversion.
More good news: You can buy a Step Up Step Down device that also comes with both a transformer as well as a built-in voltage regulator.
10 Step Guide to Buying a Voltage Converter
- Step 1. Why Do I Need to Convert?
- Step 2. Where is the power label?
- Step 3. Is My Device Single Voltage or Dual Voltage?
- Step 4. What kind of plug adapter / travel adapter do I need?
- Step 5. How do I choose a voltage converter?
- Step 6. Do I need a Step Up or Step Down Converter? How to get from 110 to 220 and from 220 to 110.
- Step 7. Do I need a voltage converter or voltage transformer?
- Step 8. Must-read voltage tips
- Step 9. Glossary of helpful voltage terms
- Step 10. Voltage by region
Voltage Converter Knowledge Base FAQs
- Gadget Guide: View a list of popular devices with recommended voltage converter selections
- Voltage / Wattage / Plugs FAQs
- Voltage Converter Selection FAQs
*** IMPORTANT - WHEN SELECTING A CONVERTER WE SUGGEST THAT YOU BUY ONE WITH 3 TIMES THE WATTAGE OF THE PRODUCT YOU ARE CONVERTING ***