Step 1: Why do I need to convert?
In order to understand why you have to convert when you travel, you must first understand voltage.
The amount of volts emerging from wall outlets differs from country to country. There are two main voltages used worldwide, and they are 110V AC and 220V AC. (AC=alternating current)
US voltage: In America, the voltage (V) ranges from 110 to 120V, and therefore American-made products are built for this low range of volts.
International voltage: In most other countries, wall outlets use a range of 220 to 240 volts, and their products are designed to be compatible with this higher range.
When traveling between regions with differing voltage, you will need a plug adapter, a voltage converter, or a voltage transformer (or all three) in order to safely use your valued devices when you go abroad.
There are also 13 different plug outlets used around the world, so matching up your power plugs with foreign outlets is also a necessity. So, how do you determine what to use with your device to get it working overseas? You must first find out if your device is single or dual voltage by reading the power label. Let’s do a little deciphering.
Next Step: Step 2: Where is the Power Label?
10 Step Guide to Buying a Voltage Converter
- Step 1. Why Do I Need to Convert?
- Step 2. Where is the power label?
- Step 3. Is My Device Single Voltage or Dual Voltage?
- Step 4. What kind of plug adapter / travel adapter do I need?
- Step 5. How do I choose a voltage converter?
- Step 6. Do I need a Step Up or Step Down Converter? How to get from 110 to 220 and from 220 to 110.
- Step 7. Do I need a voltage converter or voltage transformer?
- Step 8. Must-read voltage tips
- Step 9. Glossary of helpful voltage terms
- Step 10. Voltage by region
Voltage Converter Knowledge Base FAQs
- Gadget Guide: View a list of popular devices with recommended voltage converter selections
- Voltage / Wattage / Plugs FAQs
- Voltage Converter Selection FAQs
*** IMPORTANT - WHEN SELECTING A CONVERTER WE SUGGEST THAT YOU BUY ONE WITH 3 TIMES THE WATTAGE OF THE PRODUCT YOU ARE CONVERTING ***